Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My Marma Practitioner Journey...

The Texas US Ashram welcomed me in its usual manner with the chirping of the hill country birds and the cool meditative breeze. Run Singh ji had made his customary concoction of Spinach Dal and Sabji. As I sat there enjoying the perfect setup that nature had created for me, little did I realize that the journey that I was to embark upon was more magical than I had ever imagined. I was at the Texas US Ashram for the mystical “Marma” course to be taught by Mrs. Revathi Veeraraghavan.

Simply put, Marma can be described as an ancient Indian system of healing – similar to acupressure. Putting gentle pressure on different points on the body opens up energy blocks and balances the system. I had taken a treatment many years ago from Sage Houston (who also gave a guest appearance on our course and left us with a lot of useful tips). I had been through a very traumatic car accident and had trouble sleeping through the night. One treatment from Sage was all that it took to get rid of my shock. Since then, I had taken a few marma treatments for general well-being. I had always been intrigued by this method of healing and when I saw that this course was being offered at our Ashram, I was one of the first ones to sign up.

The course itself was a treat. Seriously, what’s not to like about giving and getting treatments to each other every day of the course? In addition, we also learned a lot about Ayurvedic principles such as prakruti (nature), doshas (imbalances), how to tailor the treatment according to body type to name a few. It was a nice blend of learning about Ayurveda and doing hands-on practice. Learning the whole routine was nothing short of a miracle – definitely His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s (Guruji’s) grace in the works!

The teacher – Mrs. Revathi was absolutely amazing! She was a storehouse of knowledge and made sure each and every one of us got the positions and concepts right.  She also made sure we got our physical workouts done for the day (did I forget to mention the late night dance parties?!) Throughout the course, I tried really hard to find that one word that described Mrs. Revathi – Loving? Methodical? Beautiful? Striking? Composed? Mystical? Bright? Gifted? All of the above.

The Marma practitioner journey continues as we all came back to our cities well trained under the able care of Mrs. Revathi to become certified Marma Practitioners. We all promised ourselves to bring Mrs. Revathi to each of the Texas cities in the near future in an attempt to bring more awareness around healthier and happier living (and continue the dance parties)!




About the Marma treatment:
Each Marma session takes about 45 mins (+ 15-30 mins rest) and the introductory suggested donation of $50 goes to the Art of Living.

Wear comfortable clothes (no undressing is required) and no heavy meal within 2hrs of the appointment.

If you are interested in getting a marma treatment, contact:  
Priya Vijayaraghavan | treeshav@gmail.com | 512.968.2863
Uthra Mohan | uthras@gmail.com
Shveta Sharma | chawla.shveta@gmail.com
Vyom Kumar | vksmbox@gmail.com

9 comments:

Arvind said...

I'm blessed to have my wife take the Marma course. I have already seen a remarkable soothing comfort for my eye in 1 small sitting and look forward to many people getting relief.

Uthra Mohan said...

What a mystical introduction... and beautifully narrated Priya! Glad I was a part of it too.

Priya said...

Thanks Arvind and Uthra! Much appreciated!

Shveta said...

Nice blog post Priya..behooves me to add by saying that it is as much meditative to give marma as it is to receive.Like a new dimension opens up so subtly....great experience indeed for all !!

Shveta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage said...

Priya,
You will bring so much relief to so many! You are a natural at this and it is no wonder at all that you were drawn to this.....I am so happy to see this blossoming!

Priya said...

Sage - You are very kind! Thanks so much! And thanks for showing me this path!

Shveta - I totally concur with what you said!

Shweta Rai said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing such informative post. Hope you will share more about Marma Therapy.

Elisabath said...

Informative article. Thanks for sharing this information.
Marma Training in Kerala